Univ. of Wisconsin Primate Deaths Discovered by USDA
When internal documents
revealed that Dr. Ei Terasawa had left monkeys unattended while
undergoing a ‘push-pull perfusion” experiment on their
brains, and that one of the monkeys had died while researchers
were taking a lunch break, the University of Wisconsin claimed
that the incident was evidence that their system of oversight
was working well. Newly discovered documents call this claim into
University oversight committee
meeting minutes reveal that the Terasawa situation was discovered
during an inspection by the United Stated Department of Agriculture
(USDA) rather than the university’s own oversight system.
This revelation undermines any notion that the university is
able to self-monitor itself. If the USDA inspectors had not discovered
the situation, the university would still be defending Terasawa’s
research as humane.
In a related document, a letter
from Dr. Terasawa to the committee, she argues that the monkey
who died was elderly. She argues that the committee is really
at fault since it made a rule that lab personnel cannot eat their
lunch in an animal procedure room. Her letter explains that the
monkeys were experimented on for hours on end and that her assistants
needed occasional breaks.
The university has lied to the public twice now about this incident..
First they kept the situation hidden, a situation they now refer
to as being the most extreme sanction they have taken against
a senior scientist, and then again, with the claim that the situation
proves that their oversight system is working. There is no reason
to ever believe anything they might say about their animal experimentation
“We feel really sorry for the terror being experienced
by the spin-doctors. Such unequivocal evidence of slip-shod pseudoscientific
cruelty must cause the most callous public information officer
some trauma,” lamented Rick Bogle, organizer of the National
Primate Research Exhibition Hall.
Last year, the university was forced to admit that three marmoset
monkeys were killed after being “overlooked” when
their cage was blasted with boiling-hot disinfectant. University
spin-doctors neglected to mention that such problems have occurred
in the past.
Ready to read more of UW's lies?