Alamogordo Primate Facility
This record for Jerome Chimpanzee, id#4734, was
obtained thru a FOIA request to the Department of Health and Human
Jerome was born July 25, 1983 and was found dead
in his cell on January 13, 2004 from what was determined to be an
accidental electrocution. Records indicate Jerome's HIV status was
negative, he was a carrier for HCV and negative for HBV.
Reports received from DHHS indicate the following:
"Three healthy adult male chimpanzees from
adjacent dens died suddenly. Necropsies, performed shortly after
the time of death, did not determine an obvious cause of death.
Because of the similar circumstances of the deaths and their proximity
in both time and location, it was speculated that the animals were
electocuted. Two platforms on the common wall were found to be carrying
enough voltage to cause cardiac arrest if another metal object were
contacted simultaneously. Video records verified that, immediately
before collapse, one of the chimpanzees touched the cage mesh while
sitting on a platform."
Home Page | Our Mission | News
What Are Primate Freedom
Tags | Order Tag
Centers | Resources